Hello everyone! Today I am sharing an awesome recipe I have adapted slightly from Louise’s Country Closet which I am dying to try.
I love making my own cleaning products, and this one is no different. When it comes to the texture of the mixture you’re going to be making it is important to have the right amount of moisture. Add the liquids slowly and mix them in completely before you add more.
You want your mixture to feel somewhat like damp sand. It will hold a shape when pressed together, but it isn’t damp and sticky. It can take some playing around, just remember to be patient and add the liquids slowly.
- Combine borax, washing soda, and epsom salt thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Measure out 1 cup of the powder mixture and add it to a medium bowl.
- Add 10 drops of an essential oil or oil blend of your choice. I recommend citrus oils to add a lovely scent and help disinfect your dishes.
- Add the lemon juice to the medium bowl one tablespoon at a time.
- Mix between each tablespoon, and check the consistency. You want it to be slightly moist but not soaking. It should hold its shape when pressed between your fingers, yet still crumble slightly afterwards. The amount of lemon juice you add will depend on the humidity, but 4 tablespoons should be the maximum added.
- Spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray and pack it down firmly.
- Repeat these steps until you have used all of the mixture.
- Set the trays in a safe place to dry overnight.
- Gently pop out the cubes and store in an airtight container to keep them fresh.
- Add 1 cube per load and enjoy your handcrafted eco-friendly detergent.
All images are from Louise’s Country Closet